Friday, May 14, 2010

Nail clipping problem?

I have an issue with my little Heinz 57 mutt. She let me clip her nails when she was a puppy. A few months ago I decided to try using a dremmel tool to trim her nails, that ruined everything. She was so terrified of it that she won't even let me clip her nails anymore. It took my husband and I 2 hours to trim them last time because she was so scared.





I planned on just taking her to Petsmart for a simple nail grinding, I figure they can handle it better than I can. I hate how scared she is, so it makes it harder on me to try to do it. But I was recently told about an herbal downer for dogs, it calms/relaxes them and might possibly make it easier to trim her nails on my own.





My question is... has anyone heard of this? Should I try it or just pay them to trim it?Nail clipping problem?
get rid of the dremmel tool!! you are need to start all over. heres what I do with my dogs and hopefully it can help you. I use human nail clippers because one is fearful of the dog clippers. so I put one dog in my lazy boy (easier to clip) and I have a hand full of treats next to me. they get a treat for getting in the chair. then ever so often during the clippings the get a treat. with my dog that was fearful of the dog clippers, in the beginning I had to give him a treat for every toe and even take a break between all four toes. you need to try and make the experience for your dog pleasant again. go slow! just do one toe a day if that's what it takes to get her to not be scared.Nail clipping problem?
I have used Rescue Remedy on my cat for nail trimming and it worked wonders. I highly recommend it.





In the long run it will be more beneficial to you and her if you are able to trim the nails yourself. Here is info on helping a dog overcome its fear: http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/fearful-dog鈥?/a> I can not emphasize enough the need to go slowly. It may take several days of desensitizing her to having her feet touched in the presence of the nail trimmers before you are able to actually clip a nail. And, unless she has a miraculous recovery, don't expect to get all nails trimmed in one sitting - it may take five or six sessions (or more) before all paws are done in the beginning. Eventually, though, it should be as easy as it was before.
I would try to use the herbal downer first before you spend more money on getting them proffesionally trimmed. If it doesn't work just go to plan B. Good luck!
I would start from scratch with a slow, gradual process.





1)Get a new pair of clippers that doesn't look anything like the dremmel tool and some top quality treat (chicken or beef, just cut it small so you can give many treats)





2)Put her and the clippers up on a table. Make sure she can see the clippers on the table but dont actually clip her nails. if she in anxious about the clippers or being on the table keep her their until she calms down. When she is calm give her alot of praise and some treats. Then put her back down on the floor. Do this 2-3 times everyday until she will go up on the table without any hesitation or complaining.





3)Put her up on the table as before with the clippers in sight. This time pickup one of her paws. Hold it for a moment and put it back down. If she didn't give you any trouble give her a treat. Do this with every paw several times. Take her off the table. Repeat as before.





4)When she has mastered the above, try have the clippers in one hand while you handle her paw with the other. Repeat as before.





5)When she is giving no fear of the clippers being around her while you handle her paws its time to attempt to clip a nail. Put her on the table the same as before. Now you can either bend her paw back at the ankle with one hand while you clip the nail with the other or even easier just clip the nail without picking up her paw. The first option may be more stressful for the dog but it gives you a better cutting angle and view of the undernail to gadge where the quick is.





For the first few times remember to take it slow. Just cut one or two nails. Only cut a small portion of the nail so you dont chance cutting into the quick and causing her pain.


Make sure you are calm, if you are nervous or expecting her to freakout then she will pickup on this and is more likely to get agitated.





If she starts complaining say No, give her a second to calm down then try again. Dont get discouraged is she fights back. Stay patient, calm and persistant. Don't give in to her. Clip the nail, ';Good Girl';, treat and put her down. Eventually she should give into you and allow you to clip all of her nails without a problem.





Good Luck
Don't ever use a Dremel nail clipper, dogs are so afraid of the roaring noise.....and some never let you clip their nails again.





if she is this afraid, please don't take her to a groomer, call your vet and ask them to do it....he will be able to control her better





and giving herbal remedies to calm down a dog to clip nails, does not work......and should not be given anyway, unless a vet approves it first....and some of the herbs are not good for dogs...





sorry, your little dog is so scared of nail clipping, but the best person to deal with this is a vet.





good luck
The dog needs to get back to trusting you, whether you are using a clippers or a dremel. Of course it would be easier to just take the dog to a groomer or vet, but for me, I would rather do it at home instead of having the inconvenience of taking the dog somewhere. Start out slow, say doing one or two nails per day, every day...This might get the dog into a routine and get rid of his anxiety.
its about 10.00 to get a nail trim at pet smart,they are professionals groomers so they have had their run of scared dogs,





Our pet smart does it iwth in minutes we go in,they stop grooming a dog they were working on and always fit in eye cleaning and nail trims,or eye cleaning


let your dog go to pet smart about 3 times before you try again at home,But I would use human toe nail clippers works for me in between grooming


you could watch how the groomer does it





I wouldn't give my dog anything even if its a holistic method,





The grinding is new here at my pet smart,when my maltese get groomed they get their nails trimmed part of the grooming pkg,but lately they asked if I also want their nail grinded,mind you,I am sure its an extra charge for it,I haven't asked





I have used a toe nail clipper,I feel i have better control,





You dg must of had a bad experience ,like even the sound of the clipper that put her in being afraid





Good Luck
dogs have lots of nerve endings in their legs- so if you only ever hold the feet when you are going to clip them- the will freak


try touching and holding the foot, but not clipping- and then give a reward for it


time and patience will teach your dog it does not have to be a bad thing to have a nail trim
There is a new pedicure for dogs and they don't even feel it so watch tv and 5there will be a commercial on so you can order.
Are you talking about Bach's Flower Essenses - Rescue Remedy? I use it to calm my one dog who's afraid of thunder. It takes the edge off. You might also want to check into Tellington Touch. There's techniques especially for dogs who are afraid of having their nails clipped.





I personally think it would be much easier on your dog having you clip them (with clippers if she's that afraid of the dremel) than sending her off to strangers where she's already going to be stressed. Persist, start off slowly handling her feet, then pretending to clip or just clipping the very tips. If she was ok as a puppy, she'll get over the fright but you can't be nervous yourself because she'll pick up on that and think she has a good reason to be scared. You need to calm and confident.
I think that if you have a vet you trust go there, they will probably charge 10-15 $





You can go to pet smart but if your dog is nervous already then more dogs will be worse at the vet the dog is in a seperate room when having the nails cut





Don't use the downer on the dog sometimes they are allergic and have a hard time brightning back up. I almost lost a Pit that way
Use a canine anesthetic, they can be prescribed from your vet.
I have heard of such a thing though the name escapes me right now. Another alternative would be to attempt a slow reintroduction of the dremmel. Let her sniff it while it's off and then turn it on low and let her come to it in her own time. Treat and praise the crap out of her whenever she gets close. Play with her feet while it's on, and then test a nail. If she lets you do one, praise the crap out of her some more. If she is really terrified and won't let you even get close to her with it, this could take a long time and taking her to a pro in the mean time might be your only option. Good luck!
I have not heard of this herbal supplement, but you can go to your vets office and get a sedative to put her out for a while. Then you can trim her nails and it will be pain free and fearless for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment