Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sun conure nail problem!!!?

eek, im a little scared because when i got my sun conure from the breeder's yesterday, i took my bird to the vet. The vet didn't say anything, but my bird is missing a middle toe nail on his right foot that i noticed today. is this a major problem? should i confront the vet? someone help? please,and hanks!Sun conure nail problem!!!?
If this was a new injury, the bird would exhibit pain and there would be blood or a scab.





Most likely the bird lost the toe to parents. Unfortunately common in parent-raised birds. I had a Jenday who lost a toe when she stuck her foot in my Patagonian's cage. My fault totally. I had the cages too close together.Sun conure nail problem!!!?
Nope no problem. I have a parrot with a missing toe from being sat on %26amp; the curculation cut off the toe by mum %26amp; dad. It doesn't affect them in any way.
I wouldn't worry about it. It could be a growth defect. If you sun concure isn't falling over constantly it must not be bothering ti too much. there may be a small tumor in a blood vessel in that two. my bird has this. but it was to the foot so now whe can't use her whole foot. If it is only a toe though that is not a big problem. the tumor just cuts off circulation. it could have never been there. maybe it happend in the nest. no much pressure somehow may have been put on it and it never grew. if the vet didn't say anything about it, then it must not be a big concern.
The parents may have picked it off or it got caught in something. No, it is not a major problem. It's just a toenail and will not cause any other problems. I have a quaker hen that is missing all of her toenails and she produces beautiful bouncing babies with all 8 of their toenails :)

No comments:

Post a Comment